Friday, July 3, 2009

Ah yes...the cruise!

Finally. Yes, I'm finally sitting down to relive and write about the cruise. It was awesome of course, how could it not be? Best friend, ocean, books, booze...fabulous!

Thursday was the only day that I really overate, and that was when Legs took me to lunch in Galveston BEFORE we got on the boat. We had a grand 'ol time getting lost in the city of Galveston thanks to me not knowing the area and being fascinated with her iPhone. But, we made it to the restaurant where I indulged in a tiger shrimp Asiago Alfredo over angel hair, scalloped potatoes and a piece (very generous piece) of pecan pie. It was delish. After that feast we headed to the ship terminal where we had to drop off our luggage, park and and then get on the ship! We were one of the last people to get there which actually was nice! The line moved quickly as most people were already on the boat. And bonus...we took a great boarding shot getting on to the boat!

We stood at the front of the ship (I'm not up with my boating terminology) until we got out of the bay and into the gulf. We kept waiting for the boat to go faster, but we never felt it happen. We explored the boat, got our first drink and then got ready for dinner. First we decided to get a picture taken and the dude must have thought that we were "together" because the poses were very intimate for two girlfriends. (Needless to say, we didn't purchase the pics.) Now, on a ship you have two seatings and if you don't have a big party you get to sit with other people. Our table was the two of us, this Indian couple that were to be married in December and this couple from Arkansas that were getting a divorce. Hmmm...interesting. Legs and I kept trying to make conversation but really ended up talking to ourselves. We drank a little that night and stopped by this piano bar on the ship, very cool. But we turned in early since we were both exhausted from the day of travel.

Friday was a water drinking day for me, and we got out early and sunned and read and did that over and over again. And because we're LAME we were up at 6:29am. We did beat the crowd to breakfast (on the back of the ship looking at the wake) where we had pastries, fruit and coffee. Spa appointments were at 8am, pool deck by 10am! The formal dinner was that evening, we skipped the pictures this time. My dress was too low for any weird pictures. I dined on Lobster and shrimp and had the chocolate molten cake, which I only had half. Yeah me. We were going to try and stay up for the comedy show at 11pm, but found out that it was starting at 12am and we were tried so we went back to our room and read. Haha, I know, we're lame and old and we're very okay with that!!

Saturday was the day. Yep, the day of silliness, the day where we pretend that we're 18 again, the day that we went to Cozumel. We waited for everyone to get off the boat and run off to their excursions. We just wanted 2 things in Cozumel - 1. Guacamole with the thick Mexican chips and 2. A great margarita. We finally found both at Pancho's, which was in the port plaza and had live music on the patio where we sat. The margarita was the fishbowl kind and they don't skimp on the Te-kill-ya. After our little lunch we headed back through the plaza and stopped at some shops to get some souvenirs for Legs' boys. I got to use my Mexican bartering skills (born with them...yep!) and we documented ourselves getting back on to the boat since the last time we went on a cruise we couldn't remember getting back on. Hmmm... Anyway, we were back on the boat before most people and found a spot by the adult pool with margs in hand. We met some ladies in the pool (they were sisters) and chatted with them and every time the waiters came by we ordered another margarita. One an hour...every hour....there is a picture with our last margaritas (we think) and my hand with it open to we believe that we consumed 5 margs, but we really don't know.

Other things we don't know....what we were talking about when I had a "I love you man" teary moment. I do believe it had something to do with if Legs passed on that I would of course take care of her kids, and other stuff that I really don't remember. HOW EMBARRASSING! But, whatever, I was drunk. We have no idea who took the most unflattering pictures of us (full body shot, not posed, post margs, bloated...etc.), no idea how long we were on the deck (although we do remember seeing the sunset and have pics), and most idea how we got back to our room or at what time. :) I awoke in my bed, in my bikini bottoms and top with a tank top on, no cover up on the bottom. Looked over at Legs who was in her bed and I said, "What time is it?" She said, "Uh....midnight" as she went back to her book. I said, "What happened?" She said, "I don't know, but I took a shower...I hair is clean. Oh, and I threw up." "Really??" I asked. "Yep." HAHA, so we ordered room service and ate grilled cheese sandwiches in bed at 1am.

Needless to say...Sunday was another water only day. We met up with the ladies who we were chatting with in the pool and they asked what happened to us (we were going to do bar trivia and have dinner) and told them that we had no idea. More reading, more sunning. I finished my incredibly sad, but wonderful, book and started on the next. We did make it the show, dinner and even the piano bar for our last night. AND we even stopped by the disco, which we quickly decided wasn't for us and retired at 1 or 2am!! Finally we made it past midnight out of our room! Oh, but funny thing, while in the piano bar we decided to have a glass of wine. It went down okay. However these girls on the other side of the bar decided to do a tequila shot and just looking at it turned our stomachs. So, one glass of wine was it for us!

Monday was craziness. The boat was late docking and I had a noon flight to catch. Originally we were supposed to get off the boat at 8:30am, but we ended up getting off the ship at 10:15am, we raced to the car and pulled out of the lot at 10:40 and by some miracle made it to Hobby airport at 11:15!!! Amazing. Legs has some skill behind the wheel and we had to go the speed limit the WHOLE time because the cops knew that the boat was late and that people would be speeding along the causeway. I got to the terminal, out of breath thinking that I would just make it and it turned out that they held the plane because the ship was late. Seriously? Oh well, I just read some more.

Overall it was a fantastic trip. I could have gone one more day on the boat and away from work, but I'll take what I can get and the time with my Legs was fabulous.

And no...I didn't exercise at all, unless you count going up and down the stairs. So now we're back on track and will lead to my next blog.

No comments: