Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A long weekend awaits...

So, this upcoming weekend is a long weekend for most of us...Memorial Day weekend. Our executive admin just sent out a notice...just in case we forgot. Right. Me, forgetting that I don't have to work on a Monday. Are you fricken kidding me? We have nothing planned so far. I'm sure I'll do some crazy ass exercising in the wicked heat (for Texas of course, nothing compared to the temps in AZ) and probably, once again, drink too much. I swear these blogs make me sound like an alcoholic. I'm not...really...but what is there to do on a Friday night?


On Wednesday of this week I was given a card from my boss and co-workers thanking me for a job well done. They know that I've had a lot on my plate and know that Plain (the CFO) is a nut case, even HE knows it. I open the card and it has an appointment card in it from the Aveda Spa down the street. It said that I had an appointment for a Spa Bliss package starting at 10:15am on Thursday! ROCK ON! I'm way excited, I LUV the spa. I make it through Wednesday without a hitch and bring on Thursday. I woke up, ran 2 miles with The Democrat, then went to the gym to get my workout in with Trainer, got my new favorite Starbuck's coffee (Pikes Place - to DIE for), and then went home to get ready for my day. I had to stop into work to get a presentation to Plain for the Operations meeting. Fine, fine, that didn't take long.

Well, I check my email (of course!) and I see that our lawyers (our lawyers are in NY and one of them is H-O-T in the older, sophisticated, keep me in an apartment as your mistress kind of way) had given us their comments on this big ass report that I am writing. I was like, fine...I'll just come back after my spa treatments and bang it out. No big deal...I should have OPENED the attachment, but probably good thing that I didn't. I get to the spa and find out that I have been given the ultimate package. I get an hour facial, hour massage, a spa manicure with a parafin wax treatment AND a spa pedicure with a salt scrub. HEAVEN! I enjoyed my time at the spa and even had a glass of wine while getting my pedicure...okay, so I actually had TWO glasses of wine...sheesh. Anyone that knows me knows that I am a light weight when it comes to booze, and only because of my meds. So, my bright idea was to go next door to Whole Foods and get something to eat.

I had sushi and a non-fat latte and then headed back to work. I get there to a zillion emails from my boss...who knows that I've been out all day at the spa...since he GAVE me the package. Uh-huh. Emails like, 'where are you with the 10-k?' and 'are you done yet?'...ummm, yeah, I took my LAPTOP to the SPA and worked during my BLISS package you idiot! It didn't take long to get my blood flowing. Good thing I had wine in my system or I probably would have been raging. Anywhoodle...I ignore his emails and open the document with the updates from the lawyers...holy hell...there are 96 pages (PAGES) of changes. Like a trooper I dig in, make smart ass remarks to my boss and start getting it done. That's what I do...I get it done. Anyway, so at about 4:30pm my boss says, "Hey, so where are you at?" I say, on page 36....and he says, "Okay, well here are some more changes to their changes." Like seriously - changes to their changes. I don't care if the lawyer is hot...he's making my life very difficult. Fine. I take the changes. There are about 25 pages of additional changes, but first I have to get through the first ones.

Well, at about 7pm I'm starving. I call Trainer and see if he wants to meet for a sandwich...which he really needed because within 30 seconds of talking to him I realized that he is red-lining. That is my way of saying that he is starving and being a jerk because he can't think straight because of the hunger. We meet, have a quick 10 minute dinner and I come back to the office. I'm working my way through the pages of word changes, phrasing changes and inserting new disclosures and I look up and it's 9pm. Ugh, still working. I get through the first set of changes and then onto the second set of changes, which were corrections to their first set of changes. Now, after 2 glasses of wine and only some sushi and a sandwich, some Starbuck's espresso candies and NO water I was feeling a little "off." Giddiness took over and I started to think that some of their changes to the changes are just ridiculous. My co-worker Superman (I think that's what I called him) had the oldies station on and I was just singing along, laughing because they want me to change the FORMAT of the document, even though it goes through a process that makes everything uniform. I'm sure he thought I was nuts. But then again, he was there working...at 9:45pm...'nuff said.

So, moral of my weird story??? If you're gonna play, you're gonna to pay. I ended up working a 10 hour day on the day that was supposed to be a BLISS spa day. *sigh* Today I'm working on the CFO report...yeah, don't even get me started...

2 comments:

The Sports Mama said...

And yet another reason to be glad I'm an underachiever who uses my kids as an excuse to be home at a decent hour. Totally explains why I make the craptastic wages that I do, though....

Shanna May said...

I am going to seriously close my complainin' piehole right now. I've been b*tchin' all morning about my job.

"She works hard for the money. So haaaard for it, honey!"