Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Baby steps

Oh I'm feeling pretty good right now! I did something today that used to be in character, but has definitely fallen to the wayside. I was supposed to go to spin class this morning, it's a 5:30am which means that I get up at 4:45am to leave the house at 5am. However I didn't make it. Bad sleep, too comfortable...you get the idea. LAZY BONES! I went through my day, a frustrating day and ended it with a dentist appointment.

Okay, so I have to admit something, and it sounds horrible...I really don't even want to put it in writing. Well, I haven't been to the dentist since I moved to Austin, which is almost THREE YEARS ago. Yes, three years. At first I didn't know where to go, I asked for referrals, but everyone I knew at the time lived far from where I do and I didn't want to drive out of the way for the dentist. Then our insurance changed and I was once again lazy and just didn't find a dentist. After some badgering by Trainer I found us a dentist near the house and prayed that they were an "up to date" dentistry, I loved my dentist in AZ as she was up on all the newest dental technology. Today was my appt., 2pm. I got there early and they were in their weekly staff meeting so the doors were locked. First bad sign in my head, tell me to get there early and then lock the doors?? WTF? Anyway, I got in and started the "exam" and LONG story short I have to get 5 fillings and a deep cleaning. Although they did say that it was obvious that I flossed, which I do.

My mouth hurts, it took 2 hours and I didn't even get a cleaning. I was a little upset, mostly at myself for waiting for so long. Went to Starbuck's, came home and sat outside with my drink and a magazine. Normally I would have just let the day go on, lazed around and sulked, but instead I texted my friend Mid West Girl that is training for the triathlon and asked when she was going to spin class. Not only that, but I met her there!!! And to top it off we ran for 15 minutes after we completed 60 minutes of class. Pretty cool. I'm pretty motivated by her and it helps me to help someone meet their goals, especially when they are goals that I want to reach some day.

Now I'm sitting here pretty damn happy with myself. I made an awesome healthy dinner, we had breakfast, delish. I'm even debating running tomorrow morning. Crazy stuff I know. It sucks that I had to fall so far to get back to baby steps, but sometimes it just happens. I have to look to myself to be proud of what I'm doing, not what I haven't done up to this point. Baby steps....baby steps.

2 comments:

The Sports Mama said...

I really am just so stinkin' proud of you.

That's all I have to say on that. ;)

schmitball13 said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for kicking my ass last night! It was awesome!