Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sleepless morning...

I woke up with a start at 3:50am. 'What the heck is going on??' is what I was thinking when I heard the sounds of paws and nails scurrying across our tile floor, across the house to the doggy door. Dear Lord...why do opossums have to come out twice a year? Why must they cross through our yard on the top of the fence, keeping my little buddy up ALL night long just staring out the window...waiting. Waiting to jump up on the fence and snag one down by the tail. (When Fido stands up he's just under six feet.) After snagging it he shakes it from side to side while Trainer and I are frantically putting on clothes and shoes trying to get out there before something really bad happens. As always our 'little buddy' stands guard over his catch and pretends like he can't hear or see us. Almost like a three year old....'if I pretend maybe they'll just go away!'

No such luck for our little bud. I blocked him from the opossum and Trainer was ready with the leash. We got him inside and closed the dog door. I went out this morning and the critter was gone, I didn't even have to chuck it over the fence. (Thank goodness because it's really, really, really gross.) I couldn't go back to sleep and of course Fido will sleep all day...

I've been cleared to exercise on the elliptical, maybe I'll go home at lunch and grab my gym bag, get in a workout before Trainer comes home tonight. OR maybe I'll go back to Sephora and buy that makeup kit that I've been adoring since Saturday...hmmm....choices.

2 comments:

The Sports Mama said...

Reason number 268 why it's probably better than I have kids and not just dogs: My boys have never played with a live 'possum and left him for dead in my backyard for me to toss over the fence. Which is good, because somehow I just don't think I'm cut out for a lifetime of 'possum removal and/or fence-chucking.

:)

TisforTonya said...

hmmm... my kids MIGHT have played with a dead possum if I hadn't stopped them (okay - so it was a big ugly rat... and they just 2 and 4 years old...)